07 April 2007

The Food Network


The Easter Bunny is coming and I've spent the majority of my day in the kitchen getting ready. I don't think it's just my family, but Holidays = Food around here. In my desperate attempt to create holiday memories for my girls I left no mixing bowl unturned and let the kids help me where they could. I just want to keep family traditions alive and naturally, certain food items are part of these traditions along with the dyed Easter eggs and Peter Cottontail stories. And, I must admit, it made my heart swell to see Chelsea carefully layering the Sopresetta and cheese in my much loved Pizza Chiena. Of course, its the everyday food choices that make a difference, but because of my awareness of the childhood obesity epidemic, I made purposeful choices surrounding the contents of this year's Easter Baskets. There is only so much candy two toddlers can eat anyway. Strangely, when I snapped on The Food Network this afternoon, I didn't find the holiday cooking shows I anticipated, but a documentary on Childhood Obesity. My heart aches for these kids and the physical and emotional challenges they face every moment of the day. One interviewee is familiar to me from my research and I hope to learn more about him in the coming weeks. This documentary will certainly be of use to me in my research assignment. Well, the girls naptime is over and that Pizza Chiena needs my attention. TTYL

No comments: